Posted on March 22, 2014 by cadmv
The Department of Motor Vehicles has been alerted by law enforcement authorities to a potential security issue within its credit card processing services.
There is no evidence at this time of a direct breach of the DMV’s computer system. However, out of an abundance of caution and in the interest of protecting the sensitive information of California drivers, the DMV has opened an investigation into any potential security breach in conjunction with state and federal law enforcement.
In its investigation, the department is performing a forensic review of its systems and seeking information regarding any potential breach from both the external vendor that processes the DMV’s credit card transactions and the credit card companies themselves.
Protecting the identity and security of our customers is our highest priority and we fully understand the potential impact any breach of security can have. The department has implemented heightened monitoring of all DMV website traffic and credit card transactions. We will immediately notify any affected DMV customers as quickly as possible if we find any issue. DMV customers are also encouraged to closely monitor their credit card statements and transactions for any fraudulent or unusual activity and report it to their credit card company immediately.
DMV customers can continue to pay with cash, check, or money order in person at their local DMV office. Californians with questions about fraud or identity theft can access important information on through this DMV Identity Fraud Factsheet.
We will continue to provide consumer updates on our website www.dmv.ca.gov as we gather more factual information.
Filed under: Uncategorized | Leave a comment »
Posted on February 24, 2014 by cadmv
Did you know the DMV offers five simple ways to renew your vehicle registration? We realize it may not always be convenient to visit a field office, so we offer the following alternative ways to renew your vehicle and be on your way:
1) Renewal by mail – Simply send in your renewal notice along with the required payment. Your registration card and sticker will arrive in the mail shortly after!
2) Online renewal – If you’re eligible to renew online, all you need is the last 5 digits of your VIN and your license plate number.
3) Renewal by self-service terminal (SST) – A self-service terminal allows you to complete your registration process using touch screen technology and immediately dispenses your registration card and sticker. It’s quick and easy! Check the list of locations to make sure an SST is available at your local office.
4) Renewal by telephone – To renew by phone, all you need to do is dial DMV’s Automated Telephone Service at 1-800-777-0133. When prompted, you will need to provide your renewal identification number (RIN) found on your renewal notice, last five digits of your VIN number and your license plate number.
And if you prefer, you can still visit the field office and renew your vehicle registration. Here’s how:
5) Visit your nearest DMV field office and present your renewal notice to the technician at the counter. Before you head in to the office, be sure to schedule an appointment online. You can thank us later!
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tagged: Appointment, Field Office, Online Services, renewal, self-service terminal, vehicle registration | Leave a comment »
Posted on January 14, 2014 by cadmv
Have you visited a DMV field office recently and received excellent service? Or have you renewed your registration online using our website? How easy was it? The California Department of Motor Vehicles wants to know about your experience!
Because the DMV is committed to serving the public, we want to hear what you have to say. Whether you have a compliment, suggestion or complaint, the DMV greatly values your opinion.
Each month the department receives over 10,000 comments via our online survey, with the number of compliments outweighing the complaints. The responses we receive for the survey are used to evaluate our service in the field office, over the telephone and also on our website. Our hope is that through the survey, the customer experience as a whole will be improved.
If you would like to provide feedback for the DMV, we welcome you to share your thoughts. As a friendly reminder, please remember not to include any personal information – your security is important to us!
So please, Tell Us… How Are We Doing?
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tagged: complaint, compliment, Customer Service, Field Office, Online Services, suggestion, survey | Leave a comment »
Posted on December 20, 2013 by cadmv
Holidays are about spending time with family and friends. Whether you are driving to celebrate with family or picking up last minute presents, be sure to safely bring the best gift of all…YOU! Get an early start and allow plenty of time to reach the destination. Be more observant, visibility is often limited by winter weather conditions.
- Millions of drivers will be on the roadway this holiday season so here are a few driving tips to help you navigate safely:
- Make sure your tires, brakes, windshield wipers, defroster, heater and exhaust system are in top condition.
- Keep the windshield and windows clear on the vehicle. Use the defroster and keep a clean cloth handy to maintain fog free windows.
- Carry an emergency kit. You can build your own with tips found at http://www.ots.ca.gov/roadsideemergencykit.asp.
- Turn off the phone when you get behind the wheel.
If you are planning to drink, always designate a sober driver before the celebration begins.
Don’t forget to secure the best gift with a ribbon. It will only take you two seconds to put your seat belt on.
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tagged: California DMV, Christmas, Designated Driver, Distracted Driving, Drinking and Driving, Driving Safety Tips | Leave a comment »
Posted on December 12, 2013 by cadmv
The DMV website is currently experiencing technical difficulties. However, all online services are available. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Affidavit of Non-Use
Change of Address
Driver License or Identification Card Application Status
Driver License or Identification Card Renewal
Driver Record Request
Field Office Appointment System
Notice of Release of Liability
Vehicle Record Request
Vehicle Registration Renewal
Vehicle Registration Suspension
Please read our blog Doing Business with the DMV When Systems Are Down in the event your registration is due during a DMV website outage.
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tagged: Change of Address, Driver License, Driver Record, Identification Card, Notice of Release of Liability, Online Services, Technical Difficulties, Vehicle Record, Vehicle Registration Renewal, Vehicle Registration Suspension, Website | Leave a comment »
Posted on December 2, 2013 by cadmv
The opportunity to take advantage of the shopping deals on Cyber Monday may only come once a year. Remember with DMV Online Services available 24/7, you don’t have to wait that long to renew your vehicle registration or driver license. You’ll be finished with your transaction– just in time to buy that television you’ve been waiting so long for!
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tagged: Driver License, Online Services, vehicle registration | Leave a comment »