DMV is committed to customer satisfaction. However, when our systems are down either for maintenance or technical difficulties, there are a few tips to fast-track your communication with us:
- In the event your registration is due on a weekend or State holiday, and if a system failure occurs, no penalties are assessed if the renewal is postmarked by the next work date.
- Our Telephone Service Center can assist with general DMV information at 800-777-0133.
- DMV’s Interactive Voice Response System at 800-777-0133 is also available for registration renewals
- Vehicle registration transactions can be completed by using DMV’s Self Service Terminals at selected field offices.
- If our system is down for 24 hours or more, to avoid paying penalties on your vehicle registration you can prepare a Statement of Facts (REG 256) or send in a letter explaining why you were late and the penalty will be waived. Then mail the registration renewal form, payment, REG 256 or letter in the envelope that was provided.
If you need your business done that day, and a Field Office visit is absolutely necessary, booking an Appointment has never been easier. DMV is modifying it’s appointment system to accommodate same day appointments. This feature will be available on August 1, 2012. Remember, showing up without an appointment can cause your visit to be longer than you expected. Plan in advance and schedule an appointment! You’ll be glad you did.